Monday, May 02, 2011

“The Blessed Gift of God”
Genesis 21:1-7
Sunday, May 8, 2011

Introduction: Illus. "Closed for Business. Motherhood Out of Order." ...The Tardy Oxcart, Swindoll, p.397- In a cartoon there is a picture of a 3-year-old freckled-faced boy in a hallway. His pajamas are unsnapped, his diaper sagging, and he’s holding his teddy bear from his hand. He is standing in front of his mother and father’s bedroom door, which is shut. On the door is a sign, written by his mother, who is very tired, and the sign says: “Closed for Business. Motherhood Out of Order.”
Motherhood can be tiresome, exhausting, and wear on your nerves. But ask any mother (in maybe a not so tired moment) and she will tell you in a second that it is also joyful, rewarding, and an opportunity to share love that is unique and wonderful. This morning we celebrate mothers, but also give thanks to all those who take the time and energy to love the children in our world.

I. The Joy of childbirth- (Genesis 21:1-5)

a. Motherhood- READ story from internet called "Motherhood."
A while back I cam across this insightful story on the internet called “Motherhood.” I thought it was so fitting for Mother’s Day, that I wanted to take the time to read it to you……We are sitting at lunch when my friend casually mentions that she and her husband are thinking of "starting a family". "We're taking a survey," she says, half-joking. "Do you think I should have a baby?" "It will change your life," I say, carefully keeping my tone neutral. "I know," she says, "no more sleeping in on weekends, no more spontaneous vacations..." But that is not what I meant at all. I look at my friend trying to decide what to tell her. I want her to know what she will never learn in childbirth classes. I want to tell her that the physical wounds of childbearing will heal, but that becoming a mother will leave her with an emotional wound so raw that she will forever be vulnerable. I consider warning her that she will never again read a newspaper without asking "What if that had been MY child?" That every plane crash, every house fire will haunt her. That when she sees pictures of starving children, she will wonder if anything could be worse than watching your child die. I look at her carefully manicured nails and stylish suit and think that no matter how sophisticated she is, becoming a mother will reduce her to the primitive level of a bear protecting her cub. That an urgent call of "Mom!" will cause her to drop a souffle' or her best crystal without a moment's hesitation. I feel I should warn her that no matter how many years she has invested in her career, she will professionally derailed by motherhood. She might arrange for childcare, but one day she will be going into an important business meeting and she will think of her baby's sweet smell. She will have to use every ounce of her discipline to keep from running home, just to make sure her baby is all right. I want my friend to know that everyday decisions will no longer be routine. That a five year old boy's desire to go to the men's room rather than the women's at McDonald's will become a major dilemma. That right there, in the midst of clattering trays and screaming children, issues of independence and gender identity will be weighed against the prospect that a child molester may be lurking in that restroom. However decisive she may be at the office, she will second-guess herself constantly as a mother. Looking at my attractive friend, I want to assure her that eventually she will shed the pounds of pregnancy, but she will never feel the same about herself. That her life, now so important, will be of less value to her once she has a child. That she would give it up in a moment to save her offspring, but will also begin to hope for more years - not to accomplish her own dreams, but to watch her children accomplish theirs. I want her to know that a cesarean scar or shiny stretch marks will become badges of honor. My friend's relationship with her husband will change, but not in the way she thinks. I wish she could understand how much more you can love a man who is careful to powder the baby or who never hesitates to play with his child. I think she should know that she will fall in love with him again for reasons she would now find very unromantic. I wish my friend could sense the bond she will feel with women throughout history who have tried to stop war, prejudice and drunk driving. I hope she will understand why I can think rationally about most issues, but become temporarily insane when I discuss the threat of nuclear war to my children's future. I want to describe to my friend the exhilaration of seeing your child learn to ride a bike. I want to capture for her the belly laugh of a baby who is touching the soft fur of a dog or cat for the first time. I want her to taste the joy that is so real, it actually hurts. My friend's quizzical look makes me realize that tears have formed in my eyes. "You'll never regret it," I finally say. I reach across the table, squeeze my friend's hand and offer a silent prayer for her, and for me, and for all the mere mortal women who stumble their way into this most wonderful of callings. The blessed gift of God and that of being a Mother.
There is no greater blessing, no greater gift that God
can give to us, than that of a child.
b. Sarah gives birth- This is why we see Sarah, in Genesis 21, so thankful as God deals with her as He had promised, that she would give birth to a son. This is something that had concerned Sarah greatly, so much so that she and Abraham tried to fulfill this promise of God in their own way, through her servant maid Hagar. But the time finally came to Sarah that she would give birth to a son, and they would name him Isaac!
There are many women who are in the place Sarah was, longing to get pregnant, longing to have that opportunity to give birth. For many, it is something taken for granted, because either they don't desire this, or because it came so easily to them. But for those who have struggled to have children, when that child comes, there is no greater joy.
Genesis 21:3 says "Abraham gave the name Isaac to his son
whom Sarah bore him."

II. The Joy of a child's laughter- (Genesis 21:6)

a. A child's view- One of the things that causes me to laugh the most is to read the answers of children to various questions. Here is an example of some of the answers children gave to some historical events: READ "History Revisited," p.57, #121, 1001 Humorous Illus.
David was a Hebrew King in the Old Testament who was skilled at playing the liar.
The Greeks invented the Olympic Games where they hurled biscuits and threw the java.
Nero was a cruel tyrant who tortured his subjects by playing the fiddle to them.
The government of England was a limited mockery.
A great writer was John Milhon. He wrote “Paradise Lost.” Then his wife died and he wrote “Paradise Regained.”
Children are great to be around, because they enjoy life. They are carefree, and even if they get things wrong, they still do it with boldness, and oftentimes laughter. Children make us laugh (I know mine make me laugh)! Children bring energy to our lives(and keep us from being lazy). Children remind us of the innocence we are to have (and how to not take life too seriously).Children remind us of the simple faith and trust we are called to have in God (in fact, I was touched deeply when just a couple of weeks ago little Abby told me: “Jesus is in my heart!”).
b. The laughter of Sarah- When Sarah first heard that she was finally going to get pregnant and have a child, she laughed. She laughed at the thought of having a child at the age of 90. So God, in His sense of humor, told Abraham and Sarah that they would name their child Isaac, whose name means "he laughs."
Here in Genesis 21:6 we are told: "Now Sarah said, `God has brought laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh with me.' "
Sarah new that there was not only to be laughter in the amazement of having a child at such an old age, but that the presence of a child would bring laughter as well. And what a wonderful thing laughter is in our world!

III. The Joy of a child's presence- (Genesis 21:7)

a. When You Thought I Wasn't Looking- It is easy in the midst of all our
energy spent, for us to forget not only the great call that caring for children is, but also the great joy that we receive from them, and bring to them. We know that we are to be an example to our children, but sometimes we forget to see the things they truly learn from us! One of the most touching readings I have come upon is one called "When You Thought I Wasn’t Looking"…..
“When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you hang my first
painting on the refrigerator,and I wanted to paint another one. When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you feed a stray cat, and I thought it was good to be kind to animals.When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw you make my favorite cake for me,and I knew that little things are special things. When you thought I wasn't looking, I heard you say a prayer, and I believed that there was a God to talk to.When you thought I wasn't looking, I felt you kiss me goodnight, and I felt loved. When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw tears come from your eyes, and I learned that sometimes things hurt, but it's alright to cry.When you thought I wasn't looking, I saw that you cared, and I wanted to be everything that I could be.”. When you thought I wasn't looking, I looked....and I wanted to say thanks for all the things I saw when you thought I wasn't looking.
Children do receive a great deal from us, most of it good. So we need to be careful what we do, and what we say, because they are looking, and they are noticing, and they are learning, and they are perceiving what we are doing!
b. Sarah's joy- You can hear the joy in Sarah's tone as she says to us in verse 7: "...`Who would ever had said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse children? Yet I have borne him a son in his old age.' "
Sarah knows the blessing it is to have a child. Sarah knows the joy it is just to have a child's presence in their midst. But even more, Sarah knows that Isaac was to play a great role in the fulfillment of God's promise to her and Abraham. That through Isaac, there would be a great throng of people who would know God, and follow God, and serve God.
This is true of our children as well. They may not all be like Isaac from the Bible, but God has a special place for every child in this world. God has a special purpose for every child. You, as mothers, and even all of us adults, who have an opportunity, or who take the opportunity to reach out and love a child, guide a child, teach a child, challenge a child, support a child, helps them on the road to bringing more joy to this world and fulfilling their purpose.
I could not imagine Tami's and my life without the presence of our children. They take a lot of our time, energy, and love, but their mere presence is an incredible joy; an incredible blessing. The opportunities I have to encourage their creativity and playfulness, to help them in the growth of their faith and knowledge in God, to help them learn the important lessons of life, are the greatest blessings that I and Tami have in this life!
And now, we are god-parents to Sydney Garcia, and have a role to play in her life as well. You all fit the role of mother, father, grandmother, godparent, aunt, uncle, or church member. Each of these roles can include a place in a child’s life.

Conclusion: Charles Swindoll, a well known minister, speaker, author, wrote in his book "Strong Family" a list of "I Owe You's" every child should offer to their mother..............(...the Tardy Oxcart, p.396). Maybe one day you will hear it from your child, but whether or not you do, hear it now…..
I owe you—for your time. Day and night…I owe you—for your example. Consistent and dependable.
I owe you—for your support. Stimulating and challenging.
I owe you—for your humor. Sparky and quick…I owe you—for your counsel. Wise and quiet.
I owe you—for your humility. Genuine and gracious.
I owe you—for your hospitality. Smiling and warm…I owe you—for your insight. Keen and honest.
I owe you—for your flexibility. Patient and joyful.
I owe you—for your sacrifices. Numerous and quickly forgotten.
I owe you—for your faith. Solid and sure.
I owe you—for your hope. Ceaseless and indestructible...I owe you—for your love. Devoted and deep.
A mother may never hear these words from her child, but mothers that they are loved all the same, even when it is not said. Know you are appreciated even when it is not felt, and blessed, even when you are too weary to experience it. You may think that what you do goes unnoticed, but it is noticed in how your child behaves when they are not at home, and even more, it is noticed by God! May God bless all you mothers today, and may we say "thank you" to our own mothers whenever possible. Let your children always be seen as a blessed gift of God. Amen

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home