Monday, December 19, 2011

"Her Firstborn"
Christmas Day, 12/25/11
Luke 2:1-7; Colossians 1:15-20

Introduction: I remember when Tami was pregnant with Tyler and the day came when it was time for her to give birth. Actually, it was on a Sunday. She woke up about 5:30 a.m. and realized she was starting to have contractions. However, it was the busiest Sunday of the year for me. I had 2 services at church. I had new members joining at both services. I had a baptism. So we went to church. She seemed okay in between services and so I went to the second service. After the second service we went to the hospital. Tyler wasn’t born until 6:30 p.m., so there was much anticipation all throughout the day!

Mary and Joseph had a long anticipation too. They were trying to find a place to stay. The Inns were packed! They finally found a stable where they could go and find shelter. Then the time came for Jesus to be born! JESUS. THE SON OF GOD. THE SAVIOR OF THE WORLD. IT WAS TIME!

I. Gave birth to her firstborn-

For Mary this experience would be like none other. Not only was it her firstborn, but it was Jesus Christ. This child was the fulfillment of prophecy; God in the flesh; the Messiah come to save the world from their sins!

It is not too often we celebrate Christmas on a Sunday. It is not too often that we have church on Christmas Day. We need to appreciate this day. We need to really seek to understand the significance of this day. It is too easy to start opening presents and get together with family and eat the food.

It is too easy to forget that there is an important reason why we celebrate this day. It is the birthday of Mary’s firstborn. Jesus Christ. Our Savior!

Let me just highlight for a moment, remembering from Colossians 1:

1. Jesus is before all things. Jesus came to be our Savior AND our Lord. He is to hold first place in our lives. He is to be more important to us than our relationships and our possessions.

2. Jesus is the one who holds all things together! He guides us in our lives. He makes our relationships better. He allows us to enjoy what we do have in life. He helps us to understand how we are to live our lives.

3. All things are reconciled through Jesus. Our sin is removed. We are given new life. We are restored in our relationship with God. We are given the Holy Spirit. We are filled with new gifts.

II. No room for them-

So the question is, do we have room for him? The fact that there was no room

for Jesus in the Inn is a profound one. During Jesus’ time there were many who did not have room for Jesus in their lives. The religious leaders, the Pharisees, did not have room for Jesus in their religion. During Jesus’ life there were many who did not follow Him; many who did not give their lives over to Him; many who did not pick up their cross and follow Him. They had no room for Jesus.

This is still true today. So many people do not have a place for Jesus in their lives. They think that there are more important things in life. They forget that they would not even be here without God. They don’t understand that they have no eternal future without Jesus. They don’t want to ‘mess around’ with Jesus because He will complicate their lives. But aren’t people’s lives terribly complicated now? Are people’s lives so wonderful that they don’t have room for Jesus?

It doesn’t make sense to me.

This Christmas Day is to be a time we celebrate Jesus. Listen to this song “I Celebrate the Day,” by Reliant K. You will find an insert of the lyrics in your bulletin (3:05).

And with this Christmas wish is missed
The point I could convey
If only I could find the words to say to let You know how much You've touched my life
Because here is where You're finding me, in the exact same place as New Year's eve
And from a lack of my persistency
We're less than half as close as I want to be
Chorus: And the first time, That You opened Your eyes,

did You realize that You would be my Savior
And the first breath that left Your lips
Did You know that it would change this world forever

And so this Christmas I'll compare the things I felt in prior years
To what this midnight made so clear
That You have come to meet me here
To look back and think that
This baby would one day save me
In the hope that what You did
That you were born so I might [ really ]live
To look back and think that
This baby would one day save me
And I, I celebrate the day
That You were born to die
So I could one day pray for You to save my life

Conclusion: Christmas day is about realizing that Jesus Christ is our Savior, come to change the world forever. Christmas day is about opening up the gift of Jesus and finding that He is here to save you. Christmas day is about really receiving Jesus like you never have before and committing yourself to Him.

Christ has given you a gift. He has given Himself as Your Savior. He has given Himself as the one who removes your sin. There is no greater gift than this. On this Christmas Day would you give Him a gift? The gift of your heart? Pray with me: Jesus, we praise You for this day; this Christmas day. The day of Your birth. The day You came into this world to change it forever for me. I receive Your gifts of lift and love, hope and joy, peace and forgiveness. I give You back a gift. MY HEART. Please receive it this day. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home